The University of Duisburg-Essen (German: Universität Duisburg-Essen) is a public research university in Duisburg and Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany and a member of the newly founded University Alliance Metropolis Ruhr. It was founded in 1654 and re-established on 1 January 2003, as a merger of the Gerhard Mercator University of Duisburg and the University of Essen.
With its 12 departments and around 40,000 students, the University of Duisburg-Essen is among the 10 largest German universities. Since 2014, research income has risen by 150 percent.Natural science and engineering are ranked within the top 10 in Germany, and the humanities are formed in the top 20 to 30. Especially, the physics field is ranked in the top 1 in Germany.The University is ranked as one of the 200 best universities in the world.
- Origins: University of Duisburg (1555)
- Recent developments
- Faculties and Institutes
- Main faculties
- Central scientific institutes
- The NRW School of Governance
- Associated institutes
- Student body
- Mercator-Professorship Award
- Poets in Residence
- 6Academics6.1International cooperation
- Erasmus program
- International university cooperations
- University of Duisburg-Essen (UDE)'s main partner universities
- University of Duisburg-Essen (UDE)'s faculty partner institutions
- University Alliance Metropolis Ruhr
- International network
- Further cooperation programmes
- Notable people
- Points of interest
- See also
- Further reading
- External links
Origins: University ofuisburg (1555)
The universities origins date back to the 1555 decision of Duke Wilhelm V von Jülich-Kleve-Berg, to create a university for the unified duchies at the Lower Rhine. To this end, it was necessary to obtain a permission of the emperor and the pope. Although the permission of the pope was granted in 1564 and of the emperor in 1566, the university was founded about ninety years later in 1654, after the acquisition of the Duchy of Cleves by Frederick William, Elector of Brandenburg. It opened on 14 October 1655 by Johannes Claudberg as their first rector. The university had four faculties: Theology, Medicine, Law and Arts. During its period of activity it was one of the central and leading universities of the western provinces of Prussia.
Only a few decades later the university was in competition with the much better equipped Dutch universities. Since only about one third of the population in the western provinces of Prussia were member of The Reformed Church, most Lutheran and Catholic citizens in the second half of the 18th century sent their sons to other universities.
The university declined rapidly and was closed on 18 October 1818, due to a Cabinet Order of Friedrich Wilhelm III. At the same time, the University of Bonn was founded. Large parts of the Duisburg University Library were relocated to Bonn and formed the basis of the newly formed Bonn Library. The sceptre of the University of Duisburg was given to the University of Bonn, where it is still located today.
In 1891, the Rheinisch-Westfälische Hüttenschule was relocated from Bochum to Duisburg. Subsequently, the school was transformed into the Königlich-Preußischen Maschinenbau- und Hüttenschule, and in 1938 was renamed to Public School of Engineering.
After a decision of the federal state government in 1960, the teacher training college of Kettwig was settled to Duisburg and was named Pedagogical University Ruhr. In 1968, the university was founded again in Duisburg, related to the old one, bearing the name: Comprehensive University of Duisburg. Initially only small, the university was developed rapidly in the 1970s up to about 15,000 students. In 1972 the Pedagogical University Ruhr and the Public School of Engineering, which was renamed in 1971 to University of applied sciences Duisburg. Other schools were also relocated to Duisburg. The University of Duisburg was then called Comprehensive University of Duisburg. In 1994 the university was renamed Gerhard Mercator University.
In 2003, Gerhard Mercator University merged with the University of Essen to form the University of Duisburg-Essen, which is today one of the largest universities in Germany with about 40,000 students.
In March 2007 the three universities of Bochum, Dortmund and Duisburg-Essen founded the University Alliance Metropolis Ruhr, which now includes more than 120,00 students and 1,300 professors and is modelled after the University of California system.
In May 2018, the three members of the University Alliance Metropolis Ruhr launched the Research Academy Ruhr (RAR), an inter- and university overarching program for the development and support of young scientists. The program is funded by the State of North Rhine-Westfalia (NRW) and the Mercator Research Center Ruhr (MERCUR) with €800,000 over the next four years and an additional €1 million being added by the three participating members of the University Alliance.
Campus location in Essen
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
The university has two main campus locations in Duisburg and Essen.
Faculties and Institutes
The University of Duisburg-Essen today has twelve faculties, listed below:
Faculty of Art and Design
Faculty of Biology and Geography
Faculty of Business Administration and Economics
Mercator School of Management – Faculty of Business Administration
Faculty of Chemistry
Faculty of Engineering
Department of Building sciences
Department of Electrical engineering and Information technology
Department of Computer sciences and Applied Cognitive Sciences
Department of Mechanical and Process engineering
Department of Transport Systems and Logistics
Faculty of Humanities
Faculty of Mathematics
Faculty of Medicine and University Hospital Essen
Faculty of Social sciencesInstitute for Political Sciences
NRW School of Governance
Institute for Educational sciences
Institute for Development and Peace (INEF – Institut für Entwicklung und Frieden)
Institute for Sociology
Faculty of Physics